Listening Tips: What to Do and What Not to Do
19 Jun 2014 admin
The listening test is often a very stressful part of the IELTS exam – it’s so easy to lose concentration and miss a question or two… The tips below might help reduce your stress and increase your IELTS listening score.
What to do…
1. There are four parts to the listening test. You hear each listening only ONCE. So relax and concentrate.
2. Read through all the questions quickly before you hear the first recording. Make sure that you attempt each question on the question sheet.
3. Be prepared to hear a variety of accents.
4. Transfer your answers at the end of the listening test onto the answer sheet
provided. Make sure that the numbers correlate!
5. Check you have spelled your answers correctly.
6. If you make a spelling mistake, the answer will be marked wrong. So, learn common spelling rules.
What NOT to do…
1. DON’T fill in the answer sheet when you are listening to the recordings. You will have time at the end.
2. DON’T assume that all the possible answers are used.
3. DON’T leave any spaces on the answer sheet empty. If you’re not sure, take a!
4. DON’T rush yourself when filling in the answer sheet. You will have plenty of
time at the end to transfer your answers.
5. DON’T expect the invigilator to help you by explaining any vocabulary you
don’t understand, because they won’t!
6. DON’T write more than one answer per question. It will be marked wrong.
Hope this tips help. Don’t forget to sign up to our weekly newsletter. If you need extra help with listening, take a look at these listening study aids.
Categories: IELTS Listening
Tags: Listening Tips