IELTS READING: SKIMMING THE PASSAGE
11 Dec 2014 admin
The reading section in the IELTS is a timed test. You are then not advised to spend too much time reading the passage. The better thing to do than to slowly read is to put to work a speed reading technique namely skimming. Skimming involves rapid movement of the eyes over text, aimed at identifying only the central idea and the general overview of the content. It is most effective in pre-reading, reading and reviewing of the passage. By simply following required specific steps, you can cover a large amount of material quickly.
When skimming …
- Read the title to catch an initial glimpse of what the passage is all about
- Read the introducing first paragraph to get some leading information of the main part
- See if there are subheadings. Each one needs to be read to recognize relationships among them.
- Don’t miss the first sentence of each remaining paragraph for the main idea.
- Look for words that hint at answers to questions who, what, when, why and how.
- Pay attention to proper nouns, uncommon capitalized words, enumerations, superlative adjectives and typographical cues like italics, boldface and asterisks.
- Read the last paragraph completely.
Hope you like these tips. Don’t forget to sign up to our newsletter to receive more tips and strategies to maximize your IELTS score. Also, check out the reading study aids.
Like this post? Share it with your friends…