How to Remember New Words
12 Nov 2014 admin
Not only is memorizing lists of words ineffective, it is also found lacking. For a word to really become a part of your vocabulary bank, you have to see and hear it used in several different ways over a period of time.
The following tips will help you remember new found words:
- Make the time to write the word along with its definition as often as possible.
- Using the pronunciation key in your dictionary, practice saying the word.
- Learn the word and its meaning soon after you see it the first time.
- Put together vocabulary index cards and write the word on one side and the meaning on the other.
- Construct grammatical sentences using the word correctly.
- Use different forms of the word (noun, adjective, verb, adverb and plural forms).
- Try using the word in conversation, and make sure you pronounce it correctly. You can also put it to work in your writing assignments whenever you can.
- Set apart a few words to study each day. Avoid overloading yourself with too long a word list.
- Pay attention to the words used by teachers, public speakers.
Don’t forget to sign up to our newsletter to receive more tips and strategies to maximize your IELTS score. Also, check out the vocabulary study aids.
Like this post? Share it with your friends…