Top 10 Commonly Confused Pairs
29 Sep 2014 admin
There are words in the English language that seem confusing because they sound very much alike but convey utterly different thoughts. Electronic spellcheckers won’t be of any help in such a case, and you might get a put-down from someone reading your writing.
Here’s a list of some commonly confused pairs.
1. Adverse is unfavorable or harmful while Averse is strongly disliking or opposed
2. Bare is naked or to uncover while Bear is to carry or to put up with
3. Censure is to criticize strongly while Censor is to ban parts of a book or film
4. Disinterested is impartial while Uninterested is not interested
5. Ensure is to make certain that something will happen while Insure is to provide compensation if a person dies or property is damaged
6. Foreword is an introduction to a book while Forward is onwards or ahead
7. Loose is to unfasten or to set free while Lose is to be deprived of or to be unable to find
8. Pour is to flow or cause to flow while Pore is a tiny opening or to study something closely
9. Sight is the ability to see while Site is a location
10. Storey is a level of a building while Story is a tale or accountDon’t forget to subscribe to our weekly newsletter. For more vocabulary tips, check out these vocabulary study aids.Like this post? Share it with your friends…